Thank you for all the unforgettable...
Specially for 12 days in late June, early July, that were filled with priceless adventures in truly fascinating corners of the world. And even though there were some challenges at times, even then, they had their own magic. So thank you, for those, too.
Here is a photographic recap that will go straight into our scrapbook history:
1. We are grateful for long plane rides that give us time to day-dream, read, journal and even catch up on documentaries and movies! I can finally say I saw more than only two full length movies in 2014!
3. Specially grateful for so many childhood dreams turned REAL within those 12 days of magic. Answers to all those countless day-dreaming-filled-hours of my younger self (a few decades ago) when I believed in my heart that one day I would step into the Basilica de San Pedro (Saint Peter's Basilica in Vatican's City) and see with my own two eyes the incredible artwork of Michelangelo and so many great artists in history. Yes, this actually happened this Summer! And I still wake up, some mornings, thinking it may only have been a dream! But then I rush to see the pictures we took (just to make sure it was all true), and gladly, over 7,000 pictures (taken between my daughter and yours truly, using two cameras, two cell phones and one polaroid) are there to remind me that yes, it really did happen! I saw, I photographed, I cried a few tears of joy...I walked the streets of Rome and the gorgeous Vatican City (for dozens of miles by the way) with my teen-aged daughter and 53 of her classmates and history teachers. What an amazing gift you gave me this year, Summer. I am so delightfully grateful for everything! How will I possibly thank you enough?
4. A very special thank you for Orvieto and Siena, possibly the two most fascinating (and utterly magical) towns I have ever met! I would so love to live there for the rest of my life, if I could bring my entire family with me!
5. Thank you for Florence. And the rainy days.
6. Thank you for Pisa and all of its magic!
7. Thank for Avignon, Nice and all the South of France!
8. Thank you for the quick visit to Monaco and Monte Carlo. If anyone ever thought that fairy-tale pages cannot come alive, that is probably because they have not yet been to Monaco.
10. Thank you for amazing tour-guides (specially one named Fabrizio); for one-of-a-kind flower shops in Italy and France; for coffee roasters in Siena; and artists everywhere! Thank you for Italian coffee and French pastries. Thank you for gorgeous museums and priceless art pieces; for fast train-rides, and long airport delays (always a good excuse for more photo-taking). Thank you for amazing churches in almost every corner, and for pretty windows everywhere! So giddy with thankfulness for every gorgeous sky filled with story-spilling clouds. It was as if all those fluffy clouds were there specially as to pose for my pictures! Thank you for impromptu musicians and even opera singers in the streets! Thank you for sunflowers; for pizza; for Caprese salad; for bread with oil and vinegar; for delicious chocolate; for so many flavors of gelato, and did I thank you for coffee? I cannot thank you enough for coffee!
* If you are interested, you are welcome to see a few more pictures that I have posted in Flickr.